Pages

December 21, 2011

2011 wrap-up



Editor's note: Thank you to readers worldwide.  This will be the final post of the year.  Next year there will be at least two postings per month.  Starting in January we'll examine what a red-headed girl with German heritage (No, not my mother) can teach us about using great words to give your ledes variety. We'll also learn one of the most important methods of self study, which could be THE factor in taking your news writing to the next level.  Until then, feel free to contact me with suggestions or questions.  Thanks for reading.



"I can't have a steady diet of junk and have it not impact me."
                                                                                     -Freddie Russell

Russell is right. The media you choose to consume and people you hang around affect you. I don't need to tell you that negative stuff constantly picks at you all day long ... and it comes from surprising sources and at surprising times. That's why its important to choose to put things into your mind that grow you and remind you of the right way to live.

Here are some of the books and audio books I’ve read or listened to this year. I am passing along eight titles from this year that I recommend to everyone, no matter your industry or interests.

Many of these eight are from the reading list on PersonalMBA.com. While a few titles on that list I would rate “good,” most I would rate “excellent” or “standout.” I have only recommended those in the later two categories. I also recommend viewing the list and picking some self-enhancing titles that interest you. I’m grateful to have discovered this list this year. See it here: http://personalmba.com/best-business-books/

My 2011 recommendations:

1. Friendship Factor … by Alan Loy McGinnis

2. From the Hood to the Hill … by Barry Black. (Dr. Black is the United State's top minister -- he's chaplain of the U.S. Senate. His journey is inspiring)

3. The Art of Exceptional Living … by Jim Rohn

4. Personal Development for Smart People … by Steve Pavlina

5. Lead the Field … by Earl Nightingale

6. What Got You Here Won’t Get You There … by Marshall Goldsmith

7. The Ultimate Sales Machine … by Chet Holmes

8. Born to Run … by Christopher McDougall (In addition to reading this fun, amazing story, get ready to throw out the window all the knowledge you have about foot health and human movement. I know I sound like an infomercial by saying this, but this book has changed my life. Remember in the movie/book "Moneyball" how it unfolds that the knowledge of the old-time scouts is no longer relevant? Well, this book is like Moneyball, but for feet. For more info, read my January 14, 2011, note on my Facebook page)

No comments:

Post a Comment